A version of this recipe was made popular by doctor and author, Henry Bieler. I’ve been making it at my house for several years now, whenever I need extra energy, maybe because I’m getting sick or recovering from childbirth. The zucchini provides a very usable form of sodium that nourishes the adrenal glands. The other vegetables are ideal for restoring balance to other glands and organs.
Get Well Soup
Makes 2 quarts
- 4 medium zucchini, washed, ends removed and sliced
- 1 pound green beans, fresh or frozen
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 bunches parsley, stems removed
- fresh herbs, such as thyme or tarragon
- 1 quart homemade chicken stock
- sea salt or fish sauce to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Place everything in a pot. Bring to a boil, skim if necessary, lower heat and simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes. Vegetables may be eaten whole or blended into a thick soup with a handheld blender. Other vegetables, such as carrots or potatoes, are also tasty in this recipe.
I like to prepare ahead for times when I need this soup by freezing prepared vegetables and stock and labeling them for this soup. Simply defrost in a pan of water for 30-60 minutes, then prepare as directed. Easy! (This soup also makes a good gift for someone in your church or neighborhood who is sick.)